Robin Hood is often considered the archetypal outlaw hero. As a result, many cultural heroes are referred to as the Robin Hoods of their respective countries.
These sites are about Robin Hood-like characters from different countries. These heroes and villains can be real, legendary and completely fictional. It should also be noted that these legends are in no way inferior or subordinate to the Robin Hood legend. Some of these tales predate Robin's adventures.
I'd love to know about more "Robin Hood" characters from different cultures. So please e-mail me with more suggestions for this section.
- OUTLAWS AND HIGHWAYMEN BY GILLIAN SPRAGGS - This site was designed and edited by Gillian Spraggs to be a companion to her 2001 book of the same name. It includes texts such as ballads, extracts from "Prose Lives", letters, satires, political commentary and more. An excellent resource on Robin Hood, Captain Hind and many other other crooks of fact and fiction..
- WILLIAM WALLACE - Scotland's national hero and the basis of Braveheart , starring Mel Gibson. Some believe Wallace's adventures influenced the Robin Hood legend.
- ROB ROY - Another -- albeit much later -- Scottish hero. He also inspired films and novels.
- BOUDICCA - Also known as Boadicea, this queen of the Celtic Iceni fought the Roman invaders of Britain.
- TWM SION CATI - The Welsh Robin Hood (well, one of them.)
- NED KELLY, AUSTRALIA'S IRON OUTLAW - Australia's "Robin Hood".
- USTYM KARMALIUK - "The Ukrainian Robin Hood".
- JURAJ JANOSIK - The Slavic Robin Hood".
- WILLIAM TELL - The legendary Swiss archer.
- LOUIS RIEL - An important and controversial figure in Canadian history.
- BILLY THE KID - A real-life outlaw and murderer from the "Old West" of the United States. His legend has some Robin Hood elements.
- LAMPIANO - Lampiano and his wife Maria Bonita were outlaws in early 20th century Brazil, leaders of the Cangaceiros. These vicious bandits have become the heroes of ballads, films and comic books.
- PHOOLAN DEVI - India's late real-life Bandit Queen.
- ZORRO - This Spanish Californian hero is the fictional creation of Johnston McCulley.
- SHUIHU ZHUAN / SUIDOKEN / THE OUTLAWS OF THE MARSH -Also known as the legend of the Water Margin, Shuihu Zhuan is a classic of Chinese literature set in the 10th century and stars "Robin Hood-like" men and women. It's also popular in Japan, where it's known as Suikoden.